Since 1985, The Caring Place has provided for the basic human needs of all people in our community in a welcoming, respectful and caring way. Through two thrift shops, The Shops at The Caring Place and Second Helping, both in Georgetown, the organization is able to pay all operating expenses to serve a growing community. All monetary and food donations directly benefit neighbors needing food, utility, rent, transportation or medical assistance. The Caring Place is a community-based and community-supported organization.
With your help in 2019, we did the following…
- The Caring Place provided over 1,559,492 pounds of food to area families through our four food programs. Utilizing the conversion formula provided by the Capital Area Food Bank in Austin of 1.2 pounds of food equaling one meal, The Caring Place provided 1,299,577 meals to area families in 2019.
- The Food Pantry alone provided 1,397,070 pounds of food through 31,046 visits to our pantry. Each 12 day supply of food given is valued at just over $75 per person.
- $418,425 was spent by The Caring Place to pay rent or mortgage payments for 2,123 individuals to avoid foreclosure or eviction.
- $166,048 was paid by The Caring Place for utility bills for 1,861 people so that their service was not disconnected.
- $152,621 in vouchers were provided to 3,643 individuals needing clothing or household items, which they redeemed in our thrift store, The Shops at The Caring Place.
- 151 people received resources for medical assistance valued at $12,258.
- 3,643 Store vouchers for clothing, housewares and jackets for children were redeemed and valued at $152,621.
- Facilitated transportation for 437 neighbors valued at $19,628.
Williamson County is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation and that growth is reflected in the increased number of clients we serve. In 2019 we served 6,659 unduplicated individuals. 40% of those people are children, 17% are over 55 years of age, 13% are homeless, 33% are uninsured.
In total, The Caring Place provided over $3.2 million in financial and non-financial support and resources to neighbors in our community!
This was all possible due to a generous community caring for their neighbors in need.
Want more information? Visit our Financials and Annual Report page.