Retail Associate (Full-Time)
Purpose of the job: To help fulfill the mission of The Caring Place which is “To provide for the basic human needs of all people in our community in a welcoming, respectful, and caring way”. The Retail Associate is responsible for supporting the Retail Manager and Assistant Manager in all areas including effectively and appropriately responding to volunteer and customer concerns as quickly as possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Embrace The Caring Place Mission: to provide for the basic human needs of all people in our community in a welcoming, respectful and caring way;
- Exemplify I am CARING Values: Integrity, Caring, Accountable, Respectful, Inclusive, Neighborly, and Grateful;
- Maintain a positive environment for staff, volunteers, and customers;
- Know The Caring Place’s history as well as its current programs and opportunities;
- The Retail Sales Associate is responsible for sorting incoming donations, pricing the items, or supervising volunteers who are pricing to ensure that items proceed to the floor in a timely manner. A Sales Associate may be in charge of one particular area but must have a working knowledge of all departments;
- Cashier as needed;
- Ensure that volunteers have the supplies they need to perform their tasks;
- Print barcodes as requested;
- When directed, set up the POS’ for the day;
- Effectively interact with customers and volunteers;
- Resolve issues or concerns that arise with customers and volunteers and if necessary, escalate as appropriate to a Manager;
- Provide excellent customer service;
- Maintain an attractive, clean, and organized store environment. This includes end-of-day closing duties required to prepare the store for next-day opening;
- Create a welcoming environment for volunteers and customers;
- Treat every guest with respect and courtesy;
- Ability to drive the company truck as needed;
- Other duties as directed.
The preferred candidate has the following education, experience, and expertise:
- Minimum 2 years of professional work experience in a retail environment
- High school diploma
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of the merchandise, antiques and collectibles
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Effective conflict resolution and diffusion skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff of varying disciplines
- Adequate computer skills to learn and operate TCP’s POS system and label printing program
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
Work Conditions: Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
- Exhibit a positive and calm demeanor at all times
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Frequent stooping, bending, pulling and pushing.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs with assistance
- Availability to work flexible hours, including Saturdays
- Knowledge of and adherence to TCP’s Policies and Procedures
- Available to work Saturdays as needed to meet business needs
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive comprehensive compensation package;
- Pay at $14-$16/hr, DOE;
- Health benefits;
- Paid Time Off;
- Retirement savings program with a workplace match;
- Caring and positive workplace;
- Being part of a non-profit organization working to provide for the basic needs of all neighbors in our community.
This position is classified as non-exempt under the Federal Wage and Hour Laws. It is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week position. The Caring Place is an equal-opportunity employer. If you are interested in this position, we encourage you to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us why you would be a good addition to our team! Our HR manager will send you an application or answer any questions you might have. We can't wait to meet you if you are excited about working with this mission-driven organization!