Executive Director, Ginna O’Connor shares, “This pandemic is uncharted territory for everyone, including The Caring Place, but we will stand by our Mission to help our community with basic needs as long as we can. At this time, food is the only basic need for us to safely distribute to our community. We ask you to consider financially supporting The Caring Place if you are able. This isn’t a walk in the park for anyone, but we are sure our help in the community will be needed more than ever, now, and when restrictions are lifted.”
- Hold a “Virtual Food Drive” or send your “Virtual Help.” Let us tell you why…
It’s important that we feed our community at this time, however to avoid additional handling and exposure, we can’t accept any nonperishable food items from our community. The Caring Place can purchase food in bulk at a reduced rate from the Central Texas Food Bank.
The Caring Place’s 2 thrift stores are closed indefinitely, thus shutting down our primary revenue source.
The Caring Place’s Mission is to be here for its community during and after this pandemic and we need help to make sure that happens.
You can donate at www.caringplacetx.org/donate or create a Facebook fundraiser benefitting The Caring Place. (Listed at Georgetown Community Service Center dba The Caring Place on Facebook.) You may also send checks to P.O. Box 1215, Georgetown, Texas, 78627.
- Give to the City of Georgetown’s Good Neighbor Fund on your utility bill.
The City of Georgetown sponsors the Good Neighbor Fund, a program to assist eligible Georgetown Utility customers who are having difficulty paying their utility bill. Voluntary contributions from customers like you fund this program, which is administered by The Caring Place on behalf of the City. Contributions can be made to the fund by paying the total due on your utility bill, plus one dollar. You are also able to make a monthly pledge, which will be billed to your utility bill, and can be cancelled at any time for those families paying their bill electronically. You can enroll in this program by simply checking the box on your utility bill each month and writing the check for $1 more, or by completing the pledge form on-line at the City’s website.
- Hold on to those item donations.
While The Caring Place can’t accept item donations right now, once stores are operating again, it will be imperative that the stores are stocked with items to sell. The Caring Place thrift stores more than cover the organization’s operating expenses, so that 100% of monetary gifts directly impact neighbors in need. Without the stores open, The Caring Place will lose a huge piece of financial help.
- Shop AmazonSmile
Online shopping is more popular than ever. Please use the AmazonSmile platform to do your online shopping and designate The Caring Place as your nonprofit. .5% of your purchases will benefit The Caring Place. You must use the AmazonSmile platform for every purchase.
- Link your Randalls Remarkable Card
If you are shopping at Randalls for your essentials, please ensure that you have selected The Caring Place as your nonprofit. 1% of your purchases will benefit The Caring Place. The Caring Place’s account number is 13870. The Good Neighbor program form can be found online and should be returned to the Randalls courtesy booth.
Currently in response to COVID-19 concerns, as well as the safety and well-being of all who come to The Caring Place, these changes in operations were established on March 16th and updated today on March 20 th .:
- All volunteers of the Caring Place will not report for their volunteer assignments until further notice.
- Both thrift stores, The Shops at The Caring Place located at 2000 Railroad Avenue and Second Helping at 3700 Williams Drive, are closed until further notice.
- Donations drive through at 2000 Railroad Avenue is closed until further notice. Item pick-ups are suspended. Please do not leave items for The Caring Place at this time.
- Programs & Services at 2001 Railroad Avenue is closed until further notice.
- Food Pantry services will continue in a modified format. The Food Pantry will operate out of the Donations drive through on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. If you walk to The Caring Place you will find distribution beside our north gate.
- The Daily Bread program is discontinued at this time.
- These procedures will be re-evaluated daily as needed.
Due to a rapidly evolving situation, The Caring Place requests that the community follow it on Facebook @thecaringplace for the latest information or activity changes at the organization. You can also sign up for the organization’s electronic newsletter at www.caringplacetx.org/newsletter.
ABOUT THE CARING PLACE
Since 1985, The Caring Place has provided for the basic human needs of all people in our community in a welcoming, respectful and caring way. Through two thrift stores, The Shops at The Caring Place and Second Helping, both in Georgetown, the organization is able to pay all operating expenses to serve a growing community. All monetary and food donations directly benefit neighbors needing assistance with food, utility, rent, transportation or medical assistance. The Caring Place is a community-based and community-supported organization. For more information on The Caring Place, visit www.caringplacetx.org.